The authentic church is totally confident Jesus is on the throne and that God’s purposes for His elect and His planet will unfold exactly as prophesied in His Word.
His church is Holy Spirit empowered, anchored in God’s Word (not tossed about by every “wind of doctrine”) and Kingdom focused.
Such churches are made up of remnant people. Jesus Himself, in His great prayer for His disciples in John 17, indirectly reveals their characteristics:
- They know Jesus as Lord and Saviour. It is a personal relationship and above all else they want to make Him known. They trust and obey Him.
- They understand the role the Holy Spirit has in their life to be their counsellor, comforter and teacher and they seek His guidance in all things.
- They cherish God’s Word. It is truth, the way of life.
- They are commissioned to make disciples.
- They are not “of” this world but in it to complete God’s set purpose. They are set apart, dedicated to the work entrusted to them.
- They are hated by the world because of their total commitment to Christ and the Gospel.